Dental Checkup and Cleaning
While checking your teeth for cavities is an important part of your appointment, we’ll also do a thorough check of:
- your gums and the underlying bone (the foundations that support your teeth)
- the soft tissue that lines your mouth (for signs of any ailments, including oral cancer)
- your jaw joints (we check for creaking and deviations)
- the amount of wear on your teeth (which might be due to excessive clenching and grinding, acid erosion or misalignment of your bite)
- your fillings and other restorations (signs of wear and tear)
- the amount and location of dental plaque and calculus on your teeth
We’ll recommend particular x-rays from time, to provide us with more information about your teeth, gums, and fillings.
Cleaning Your Teeth
If we find plaque or calculus (the calcified deposits of plaque that can build up over time), we’ll recommend their removal, along with any stains that may have also built up between visits.
Our Dental Hygienists do very thorough cleans, removing the hard scale (calculus) as well as the softer plaque. If you’re finding it challenging to keep your teeth plaque-free, they’ve got a wealth of knowledge, tips and tricks which will make this important daily task easier.
They also provide many of the preventive dental treatments in our practice. Preventing dental disease is possible in many circumstances, and is the primary aim of our entire team.
Last updated 29-4-16