Wedding Smile Guide: All About Your Smile
This is an excerpt from our special report, “A Canberra Bride’s Guide To A Beautiful Wedding Smiles”. Download the complete report here.
Most of us have something about ourselves that we’d like to change if we had a magic wand. Sometimes that thing is our smile.
Does that mean you’ll have to invest in major cosmetic dental treatment to fix your smile?
We don’t think so. In fact, many ‘smile problems’ have simple solutions.
Common Smile Concerns
Most concerns about smiles fall into the following categories:
- Shape or size
- Amount of gum that shows
- Arrangement or spacing
- Missing teeth
- Presence of visible fillings or appliances
- Persistent bad breath
- Other things
You may think your teeth:
- are dull, grey or yellow or some variation of ‘not white enough’
- are stained
- have flecks of white or brown on them
- have a rough texture that makes them look odd
Shape or size
- too large or small
- don’t like the shape (too square, round, pointy, flat)
Amount of gum that shows
- the smile looks ‘gummy’ because lots of gum shows above the teeth
- the gum line appears uneven
- Morning breath
- Persistent, day-long bad breath
Arrangement or spacing
- gap between front teeth
- too much spacing between the teeth
- One or many teeth missing
- Might only be noticeable when you smile broadly or laugh out loud
- Thin or thick lips
- Dry lips
- Uneven smile line
Presence of visible fillings or appliances
- fillings- might be obvious in front teeth, or in back teeth when you smile or laugh
- some fillings create a ‘black hole’ in photos
- noticeable crowns or bridges
- People often have other, unique things that they dislike about their smile
You Know What You Don’t Like About Your Smile… Now What?
Now that you know what worries you about your smile, it’s time to get the facts. Is there an easy way to become more satisfied with your smile, or does something really need to be done to change it?
- Share your concerns with your significant other or trusted friends and family. Your current smile might be one of the things they most love about you. Sometimes we just need to know that 🙂
- Who will you need to ask for advice about your wedding day smile? Dentist, doctor, cosmetic surgeon, make-up artist, photographer?
- Are there ways that attentive photography might be able to help? For example, you might have a filling that shows up like a black hole in photographs. Your photographer may be able to avoid taking photos from the angle that causes this to occur. Does your photographer offer photoshopping, and at what investment?
- Will makeup make the difference? Talk to your makeup artist, and have an early trial, focusing on your smile. Perhaps the shade of lipstick and foundation will make a big difference. Your makeup artist will also have solutions for lips that are too thin, thick or uneven.
- If you decide on a dental solution, what are your options? Will a simple procedure like a cleaning be enough, or will you need an orthodontic or cosmetic dental solution? Will you need to see a general dentist or a specialist?
You’ll need to decide how important it is for you to change your smile. You’ll also need to know what you’ll need to invest
What Have You Decided?
We hope that you’ve decided that your smile is gorgeous, and that all you’ll need for the big day is:
- Clean, healthy teeth and gums (read the section Dental Tips Leading Up To The Big Day, page 24)
- Quality wedding makeup (read the section Enhancing Your Smile With Wedding Makeup, page 21)
- And a great photographer who knows how to keep you smiling and to capture every smile perfectly on film! (read the section Capturing Your Smile On The Day, page 23)
If You’ve Decided You Really Need To Change Your Smile…
Our next feature, Changing Your Smile, is for you. It describes the most common types of dental procedures for improving the smile. It also gives you an idea about
- how much time you’ll need to set aside so that the procedure is completed before your big day
- the likely costs involved
- whether the procedure provides a short-term or long-term solution
- the risks
- other things you should know
Check out our special report, “A Canberra Bride’s Guide To A Beautiful Wedding Smile”. Click here to download the full guide.